One dead, another in jail following isolated incident in Greenfield


Daniel James Smith, 39, Greenfield

HANCOCK COUNTY — County law enforcement is remaining somewhat tight-lipped as they wrap up a murder investigation on the far east side of Greenfield from late Thursday night.

Officials from the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department and Greenfield Police Department arrested Daniel James Smith, 39, Greenfield on a preliminary charge of murder. Smith was officially processed into the Hancock County Jail around 4:30 a.m. Friday morning, arrest records show.

Officials say Smith, who is cooperating with police, killed Freddie E, Patterson, 69, Greenfield in an isolated incident late Thursday night. Patterson was pronounced dead at the scene, officials said.

Both officials from the HCSD and GPD responded to a 911 call stating someone was dead at a home located in the 5600 block of East U.S. 40, Greenfield, at approximately 10:19 p.m. Thursday night.

Upon arrival at the address, officers located a deceased male at the residence who they identified as Patterson. Smith was also at the scene, officials said, and was taken into custody on the preliminary charge of murder.

“We’re in the process of trying to sort out some things, but I can tell you this — no one else is in danger and this is considered to be an isolated incident at that home,” Major Robert Campbell of the HCSD said Friday morning.

Smith is currently in the Hancock County Jail, but it could be several days before law enforcement finalizes their probable cause affidavit and then sends the official report to Hancock County Prosecutor Brent Eaton. Eaton’s office will determine the official charge, if any, against Smith.

Eaton noted that, once they receive the proper paperwork from law enforcement, his office will do their due diligence. Eaton was expecting to get the probable cause affidavit within 48 hours of the arrest. There is a good chance once Eaton gets the paperwork, his office will then extend a 72-hour hold on the suspect before official charges are filed.

That means Smith may not make his initial appearance in a county court before a judge until early next week, perhaps as soon as Monday, Feb. 20. Until then, Smith is being held without bond under a preliminary Level 1 felony murder charge.

The Daily Reporter will have more information on this case as more details become available.

The Hancock County Sheriff’s Office continues investigating this incident.