May 15

In 1935, members of the Hancock County Bar discussed a recent Supreme Court opinion that reversed a ruling in a criminal case because no women were part of the jury. No women had sat on Hancock County juries so far. “No accommodations are provided for women in the jury room and for that reason perhaps more than any other none have been called to serve,” read the story.

May 16

In 1924, downtown Greenfield motorists noticed street commissioners had painted new parking lines overnight along Main Street between Pennsylvania and Spring streets. The new lines were for “flat-to-curb” parking. While parallel parking reduced capacity, it was also hoped to relieve the congestion caused by narrowing the street with angled parking.

May 17

In 1918, Teddy C. Brewer, 20, died from wounds suffered the day before while defending the front-line trenches in Germany. The Greenfield resident, once a Daily Reporter carrier, served in the U.S. Army and became of the first of at least eight Hancock Countians to die in World War I.

May 18

In 1999, moviegoers began lining up in the afternoon outside the Legacy 6 cinema on West Main Street in Greenfield, anticipating the showing of “Star Wars, Episode 1: The Phantom Menace.” By 10 p.m. more than 100 patrons were in line.

May 19

In 1919, Hancock County Council was taken to task for not yet using $400 it appropriated to prepare the courthouse so that its restrooms could be open to the public on Sundays, even as the rest of the building was closed. According to this day’s edition of the Daily Reporter, “People traveling through Greenfield in automobiles are apt to have a distasteful memory of the town for this lack of accommodation.”

May 20

In 1927, aviator Charles Lindbergh soared over Hancock County in his Ryan NYP monoplane during a flight of seven hours, 20 minutes, from St. Louis to Long Island.

In 1935, the sale of household goods drew buyers to the Riley Home, as Julia Riley — sister-in-law of poet James Whitcomb Riley — prepared to move to California to live with a niece. A group of residents was gathering funds to buy the home, “so that it can be cared for and maintained in the future, and this association would also have liked to have kept the furnishings intact but did not have sufficient money at hand to time to do so,” according to that day’s edition of the Daily Reporter.

May 21

In 1964, the Cumberland Heights subdivision received tentative approval from the Hancock County Plan Commission in a preliminary hearing. The May 22, 1965, edition called the 174-lot development “the first major residential subdivision to jump the Marion-Hancock county line on the march toward Greenfield.” About 35 area residents came to the meeting to either protest the project or receive more information about it.

In 2018, the former business building at the northwest corner of Main and Franklin streets was torn down.