Family loses two pets, belongings in early morning fire


HANCOCK COUNTY — Officials from Sugar Creek Township took charge of a fire in the 6900 block of West 200S, New Palestine and say the home suffered heavy smoke and fire damage.

A teenager, who officials say was sleeping at the time of the fire, had to jump off the roof to safety. The family who was staying in the home lost two of their pets while two others were saved.

The fire broke out around 8 a.m. Monday, June 6 and had been burning for a while, SCTFD chief Brandon Kleine said. While he noted their department got a really good jump on the fire and put it out quickly, there was still a great deal of smoke damage.

Klein said an official with the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department was alerted to a young woman out on the roof who had to jump to safety after she woke up to find her bedroom filled with smoke.

“The Sheriff’s official just happened to be going by and was flagged down by a guy who said there was a girl on the roof,” Kleine said. “That young lady was asleep and woke up to smoke, and so she jumped out the window onto the roof and she jumped into the arms of a Sheriff’s official and the other guy.”

Fire officials were able to rescue two of the three dogs from the house, but an older dog and a bird did pass away, Kleine said. Fire crews buried the dog for the family.

“There really was a lot of smoke damage to the house,” Kleine said. “We don’t have anything official yet, but we believe the fire was accidental. They will have to do some remodeling, but the house was not burned down.”

Jasmine Camacho is organizing a fundraiser on behalf of her family and posted a request asking the community for help via social media.

She posted, “My family home caught fire and almost everything inside was destroyed. We are a family of five living in the house. My dad and brother and I were visiting family in Mexico, and my brother and sister stayed behind since they went last June and needed to take care of the pets. My brother was headed to work when my sister woke up to the smell of smoke and had no choice but to jump from the second story window. Since we lost everything we need to start all over again including paying medical bills and fees from the ambulance and fire department.”

Anyone wishing to help can visit, or go through Jasmine Camacho’s Facebook page for the link.

Officials with the New Palestine Town Hub on Facebook posted that the family involved in the fire has lost so much and the home they were staying in was a rental, so if anyone has a three bedroom rental coming open to please let the page know so they can alert the family.

To see more on items being collected for the family please visit that page.

Crews from Buck Creek Township, Greenfield Fire Territory, Moral Township, the HCSD, and New Palestine Police Department assisted in the incident, reports state.