Suspect in custody

Russell A. Collins, 48, Indianapolis is now in police custody in Marion County.

HANCOCK COUNTY – Officials with the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department said a suspect wanted on a warrant who was at large for most of the day Wednesday has been taken into custody and is now in the Marion County Jail.

An official with the Sheriff’s Department received a tip that the wanted man was at a residence in Indianapolis and it led to the apprehension.

Earlier Wednesday morning, the Hancock County Sheriff’s Office received a tip that Russell A. Collins, 48, Indianapolis, a wanted person with multiple warrants, was at a residence near county roads 400 West and 100 South, just outside of New Palestine, officials said in a press release.

Deputies arrived and spoke to residents of the house who confirmed the suspect was there. At some point during the encounter the suspect fled the rear of the house into a heavily wooded area, Capt. Robert Harris, public information officer said.

Due to the suspect being wanted on warrants for multiple charges, the Hancock County Joint Tactical Team (HCJTT) was called to the scene. The Indiana State Police responded with K-9 and a helicopter. The Sugar Creek Fire Department also assisted with a thermal image unit to search for the suspect. An extensive search of the residence, surrounding woods, and numerous outbuildings in the area, did not locate the suspect.
The search was called off around 11:30 a.m. but officers remained in the area. The suspect however was apprehended Wednesday afternoon in Indianapolis by local officials there.
Harris said HCSD, corporal Mark Galbraith obtained a possible address in Indianapolis where Collins could be located. He passed the information onto officials from the Indianapolis Metropolitan Police Department. They went to the residence, located the suspect and took him into custody around 4:45 p.m.
“Corporal Galbraith did a wonderful job, and it was another great example of our positive working relationships and collaborations with other departments,” Harris said. “Thankfully the criminal is now behind bars and the public is safer for it.”