In 1965, Greenfield-Central school trustees voted to appropriate $198,000 to buy 77 acres south of McKenzie Road and between Franklin and Broadway streets. They bought the land from Mary Moore for a new high school, with plans to remodel the previous high school on North Street for use as an elementary school. The target date for completion of both projects at Sept. 1, 1967.
In 1917, two airplanes from a training field near Columbus, Ohio, passed over Greenfield around 12:30 p.m. en route to Indianapolis. They and other aircraft were being sent to drop literature about the Liberty Loan program. People were gathered in streets and alleys after 11 a.m., when word came the planes had passed over Knightstown.
In 1974, Mt. Comfort United Methodist Church had its first service in a new building after a May 1972 tornado had shifted the frame of the previous church building off its foundation.
In 1985, Hancock County Council endorsed plans for a new 60-cell jail with basement.
In 1857, the Walpole Post Office was opened. In 1866, it would become the Fortville Post Office.
In 1997, Greenfield City Council voted to annex 160 acres at the northwest corner of New Road and Fortville Pike.
In 1924, former Greenfield Mayor Frank Larrabee died. His many roles over the years included principal of Greenfield High School, county superintend of schools, and Greenfield mayor — but health concerns drove him to resign after serving one year.
In 1954, Greenfield Christian Church (Disciples of Christ) broke ground for a new education unit.
In 1986, Greenfield City Council voted 4-3 against rezoning 12 acres near West McKenzie Road and North State Street from planned business to unit development. Proponents of McKenzie Plaza said they would regroup in the effort to build the McKenzie Plaza shopping center, which eventually did open with a Marsh supermarket as its major tenant. The Marsh closed in May 2017.
In 1903, Mother of God Roman Catholic Church was dedicated in Shirley, with 103 attending the service. When the town’s gas boom faded, so did attendance; the building was razed in the late 1920s.
In 1917, Charles Downing was chosen as fuel administrator for Hancock County, appointed to help secure the necessary supply of coal.
In 1965, Hancock County native Robert Harlan II was missing in action in Vietnam.