In 1907, as the result of a tent revival led by John T. Hatfield and others in the Cleveland area of Hancock County, a group incorporated at the Eastern Indiana Holiness Association.
In 1915, poet James Whitcomb Riley’s friend Johnny Gruelle received a patent for the design and name of Raggedy Ann. Gruelle is said to have drawn the name from the titles of Riley’s poems “The Raggedy Man” and “Little Orphant Annie.”
In 1839, Nameless Creek Christian Church was organized.
In 1910, a male skeleton believed to be an American Indian was uncovered in a gravel pit on a farm in Blue River Township.
In 1978, St. Michael Catholic Church in Greenfield dedicated a new parish activity center, naming it Nolan Hall.
In 1865, the town of McCordsville was platted by James W. Negley with 35 lots.
In 2001, evening prayer services took place at Brandywine Community Church and Trinity Park United Methodist Church following the attacks on the World Trade Center, the Pentagon, and United Airlines Flight 93.
In 1967, the State Board of Tax Commissioners approved a $1,714,255 appropriation sought by the Mt. Vernon school district for construction of a new high school south of Fortville.
In 1956, Greenfield Postmaster Wayne Crider switched the post office pens from quill and inkwell to “the craze of the nation — the ball point pen,” according to the Sept. 12, 1956, edition of the Daily Reporter. “The reign of the ‘scratchers’ is over and the modern instruments of penmen are to be installed immediately following the funeral services of their predecessors.” The new pens were attached to 2-foot chains to keep them at the post office.
In 1958, Charlottesville School Principal George Glenn announced that a new grade school building was in use, with two rooms already occupied and the rest expected to be available soon.