Man faces multiple charges of sexual assault


HANCOCK COUNTY — An Indianapolis man originally from New Palestine is facing rape and sexual battery charges stemming from an incident that occurred in the county in the summer of 2018.

Adam Michael Kincaid, 22, whose address was listed in the 8000 block of East Michigan Street, Indianapolis, has been arrested and charged with two Level 3 felony counts of rape and two Level 6 felony counts of sexual battery. According to investigators, the assault involved two college-aged women who were riding with Kincaid in the back of a car. The most serious charge against Kincaid carries a sentence of up to 16 years in prison.

The case against Kincaid was filed Thursday, Aug. 12, in Hancock County Superior Court 1, where a warrant for his arrest was issued that morning. Kincaid was listed as an inmate in the county jail on Monday, Aug. 16, and was being held without bond.

Capt. Robert Harris, public information officer for the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department, said Kincaid turned himself in to officials around 7:40 a.m. Monday. His initial court appearance was expected late Monday, prosecutor Brent Eaton said.

Kincaid is a 2017 New Palestine High School graduate.

According to a probable cause affidavit, deputies with the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department interviewed a young woman in mid-June who told investigators she was a witness to a sexual assault in June 2018.

After interviewing the young woman, detectives identified her as a victim as well. In the charging documents, she is referred to as Victim 1. She told officials she and another young woman, identified as Victim 2, were at a house party in the county where Kincaid was present.

Victim 1 told investigators the two women, Kincaid and two other young men went to McDonald’s later that night after heavy drinking. Victim 1 said she and Victim 2 were in the back seat with Kincaid in between them when he began grabbing them and forcing them to “do things to him,” while cursing at them, the affidavit said.

Victim 1 told officials that she and Victim 2 began crying, but the two young men in the front seat, including the driver, did nothing.

Kincaid told both victims he could “hurt them” if he chose to, the affidavit said.

Victim 1 said when the group finally returned to the party, she jumped out of the car, leaving Victim 2 with Kincaid in the back seat.

After grabbing her keys, Victim 1 said she immediately left the party before calling her parents and a girlfriend and telling them what happened, the affidavit said. The report states they then went back to the party to get Victim 2. Kincaid reached out to Victim 1 via social media the next day, telling her he did not sexually assault Victim 2, the affidavit said.

When officials interviewed Victim 2, the young woman said she had “multiple encounters” with Kincaid that were “not consensual” that night, but she had difficulty remembering what happened in the vehicle because she was going in and out of consciousness, the affidavit said.

However, Victim 2 did remember Kincaid forcing both women to touch him inappropriately and Victim 1 telling Kincaid to stop, the affidavit said.

Chief deputy prosecutor Aimee Herring said no charges are being pursued at this time against the other people in the vehicle.