In 1977, the former Greenfield police station was demolished.
In 1967, Greenfield City Council adopted a resolution opposing state highway plans to remove parking spaces along State Street between South and Grant streets. State Representative Ray Richardson presented the council with a plan that would require removal of about 15 parking spaces instead of the 50 or more the state was targeting; the Greenfield District highway engineer was skeptical of the plan.
Story continues below gallery
In 1953, the president of the Hancock County Bankers Association announced that starting the second week of 1954, all county banks would be on a five-day work schedule.
In 1917, Daily Reporter founder Newton B. Spencer died after a long illness. He was remembered in print as “a man who inspired and merited confidence, a lover of home, and always interested in all public questions.”
In 1935, Charlottesville High School was gutted by fire. The loss of the building, site of a basketball sectional in the mid 1920s, was estimated at about $75,000 with the equipment.
In 1912, the county clerk issued 12 marriage licenses for local couples. One couple surprised the congregation at East Greenfield Heavenly Recruit Holiness Church by marrying at the close of the Christmas Eve service.
In 1962, a French couple spent Christmas as patients at Hancock Memorial Hospital. They had been returning to their home in Las Vegas after a visit to France when their new car skidded into a truck on U.S. 40 near Cumberland. Staff of the hospital placed Christmas trees in their rooms.