Back when: Sept. 19-25

Sept. 19

In 1914, a Hancock County woman sued a county man, saying they had agreed in 1909 to marry each other and she had remained single waiting for him to be ready. The man had married another woman, and the plaintiff was seeking $5,000 in damages for alleged breach of marriage contract. In February 1915, a jury found for the defendant.

Sept. 20

In 1923, the Memorial Building in Greenfield was dedicated.

Sept. 21

In 1906, the cornerstone was laid as First Presbyterian Church began a new building at the corner of South and Pennsylvania streets in Greenfield. The cost of the project was $24,000.

Sept. 22

In 1977, a Laotian refugee family celebrated one year in in Greenfield and the recent arrival of more family members in a party sponsored by the Greenfield Ministerial Association at Bradley United Methodist Church.

Sept. 23

In 1913, Sugar Creek township voters decided, 278-127, to keep a saloon out of township limits for two more years. Turnout for the vote appeared high — 38 votes shy of the 1912 general election. This being 1913, all of the voters would have been men.

Sept. 24

In 1967, Greenfield police arrested four teenage boys who admitted sniffing glue and entering a church, where they drank the sacramental wine. Officers found one boy in a nearby cornfield, two walking along Jefferson Boulevard and the fourth at Burger Chef.

Sept. 25

In 1992, a two-day display of New Palestine artifacts wrapped up at New Palestine High School. The artifacts included 1880s documents written in German by Ernst Faut; IUPUI German language students had translated them, and the translations were among the items on display. The box had been discovered in a wall about six month earlier as crews tore down the old New Palestine Elementary School north of New Palestine High School and built the current elementary building to the southwest of NPHS.