Royals seeking softball coaching applicants
Pat Medler, who recently coached the Eastern Hancock varsity softball team to the 2017 sectional championship, has stepped down from his position to accept a teaching job at Monroe Central High School.
Currently, the Eastern Hancock athletics office is seeking applicants as the school looks to fill the position in the near future.
Those interested in applying for the coaching position or who may have additional questions are encouraged to contact Eastern Hancock athletics director Aaron Spaulding. Send résumés via email to aspaulding@eastern hancock.org.
Standouts picked for weekly HHC honors
Hoosier Heritage Conference Players of the Week were announced for football, soccer and volleyball. The honors are for the week of Aug. 27.
Players of the Week
Offense: Zach Neligh, New Palestine
• Neligh had a strong all-around day, with 200 passing yards and 175 rushing yards in the Dragons’ 43-0 win against Yorktown. He also ran for and passed for a touchdown.
Defense: Turk Faitele, Greenfield-Central
• Faitele had 13 tackles and a forced fumble in the Cougars’ 27-0 shutout of Mt. Vernon.
Special teams: Braden Brown, Greenfield-Central
• Brown averaged 46 yards per punt, with a long of 57. Two of his five boots landed inside the 20 in Greenfield-Central’s 27-0 win.
Players of the Week
Molly Hunt, Delta
• For the second straight week, Hunt earns Player of the Week honors with a strong week. She had 44 kills, eight aces, three blocks and 31 digs in two conference wins against Greenfield-Central and Mt. Vernon. She hit .361 in the two matches.
Mia Long, New Palestine
Long had a big match against Greenfield-Central, with 16 kills and 23 digs in the Dragons’ four-set victory.
Boys Player of the Week
Cade Beckley, Delta
• Beckley had three goals and an assist in the Eagles’ 10-1 win against Knightstown.
Girls Player of the Week
Claire Fendel, Pendleton Heights
• Fendel had the lone goal in regulation, then buried the game-clinching boot in the Arabians’ 2-1 shootout win against Greenfield-Central.
Greenfield-Central at Knights-town, 5:30 p.m.
Waldron at Eastern Hancock, 5 p.m.
Shelbyville at Mt. Vernon, 5 p.m.
Greenfield-Central at New Castle, 6 p.m.
Mt. Vernon at Yorktown, 6 p.m.
Mt. Vernon at Greenfield-Central, 7 p.m.
Shelbyville at New Palestine, 5:30 p.m.
New Palestine at Shelbyville, 5 p.m.
Union County at Eastern Hancock, 5 p.m.
Mt. Vernon, Yorktown at Lapel, 4:30 p.m.
Mt. Vernon at New Palestine, 7:30 p.m.
Greenfield-Central at Pendleton Heights, 7:30 p.m.
Eastern Hancock at Broad Ripple, 7 p.m.