MAXWELL — A man was taken to an Indianapolis hospital after suffering minor injuries Monday morning while trying to save his dogs from his burning home, fire officials said.

Fire damaged the back of a home in the 5200 block of State Road 9 in Maxwell.

The man living in the home called 911 when the fire started, Greenfield firefighters said. He suffered smoke inhalation after running into the home several times attempting to rescue his three dogs.

Story continues below gallery

He was transported to an Indianapolis hospital as a precaution, officials said. All three animals escaped safely.

Fire crews were able to contain the fire to the rear of the home. The structure suffered moderate damage.

SHARE
Caitlin VanOverberghe is a reporter at the Greenfield Daily Reporter. She can be reached at 317-477-3237 or cvanoverberghe@greenfieldreporter.com.