Three things to know: fireworks laws and safety

GREENFIELD — As the Fourth of July approaches, fireworks shops have popped up throughout the county, and residents will likely hear more crackle, pops and booms as neighbors celebrate.

In Indiana, it’s legal for residents to use consumer fireworks, but laws are in place to keep users and their families safe.

Here’s what you need to know:

1. Watch the clock.

Indiana law specifies the times fireworks can be set off on certain holidays. Residents may use consumer fireworks — such as bottle rockets, Roman candles and firecrackers — from 9 a.m. to 11 p.m. throughout the year. A special extension is granted on the Fourth of July (as well as on Memorial Day, Labor Day and New Year’s Eve), when fireworks may be used between 9 a.m. and midnight.

Noise ordinances in municipalities specify other time frames when fireworks may be set off. In McCordsville, fireworks may be used only between 5 p.m. and two hours after sunset, except on the Fourth of July, when they can be used from 10 a.m. to midnight.

2. Residents must be at least 18 to purchase fireworks.

Fireworks may be purchased only by residents 18 and older, and children may use them only in the presence of an adult.

3. Practice safety.

The Indiana Department of Homeland Security encourages adults to monitor children who are celebrating. Children should not play with or light fireworks.

Residents should purchase fireworks only from a licensed dealer and should store the fireworks in a cool and dry place to avoid any accidental set-offs.

Aiming, pointing or throwing fireworks at another person could result in injury, and audiences should keep a safe distance from the shooting site.

Use caution when lighting fireworks during strong wind conditions and have a fire extinguisher, water supply, hose or bucket of water nearby.

Never attempt to relight fireworks.

Source: Indiana Department of Homeland Security

Author photo
Samm Quinn is a reporter at the Greenfield Daily Reporter. She can be reached at 317-477-3275 or