STRIKE A MATCH: Match Day spans 30 hours to celebrate community foundation’s 30th anniversary


Jen Hortemiller and Stephanie Amick, of Agape Therapeutic Riding Services, help promote Match Day 2022, a 30-hour fundraising drive to take place Sept. 30-Oct. 1. Fourteen local nonprofits will raise as much money as possible of their individual endowments. The Hancock County Community Foundation will match up to $150,000.

HANCOCK COUNTY — The Hancock County Community Foundation celebrates its 30th anniversary this fall and is marking the milestone by hosting a 30-hour donation drive benefiting 14 local nonprofits.

Representatives from each organization will take part in Match Day from 4 p.m. Sept. 30 to 10 p.m. Oct. 1, working the phones to raise as much money as possible for their individual endowments, which are managed by the community foundation.

For Match Day, the foundation waives administration and credit card fees and matches gifts up to $150,000 total.

This is the third time the foundation has hosted a Match Day event. The first two — in 2012 and 2015 — were each 24 hours in length, but this year’s has been extended to 30 hours to commemorate the foundation’s anniversary.

The community foundation has granted millions of dollars since its inception in 1992.

Through Match Day, 60 percent of gifts are invested to grow endowment funds while the other 40 percent is granted to participating nonprofits for immediate use.

Foundation board member Kathy Locke said local nonprofits can use all the support they can get, especially in today’s tough economy.

“We are obviously coming through a difficult time with the pandemic and now inflation and high fuel prices, and more people are turning to nonprofits for help with resources now more than ever,” she said. “Growing these endowments is so important to support these nonprofits in perpetuity.”

To celebrate Match Day and all its donors, the foundation will host a Match Day bash Oct. 1 outside its soon-to-be new office space, 971 W. US 40 in Greenfield

A bounce house, food trucks and games will be on site from 11 a.m. to 2 p.m., and food and beverage trucks, carnival games and a DJ will be there from 5-10 p.m.

The party is part of the community foundation’s “Thank You Tour,” through which staff members are thanking the community for its support over the past 30 years.

The public is invited to attend the foundation’s 30th Anniversary Gala at Daniel’s Vineyard in McCordsville on Nov. 11, when Match Day nonprofits will be presented with oversized checks showcasing the amount each organization raised through Match Day this year.