In 1940, A 100-lap race was the main attraction at the first program under the lights at Charlottesville Speedrome midget track, a quarter-mile oval.
In 1927, it was reported that the Greenfield Country Club Association had purchased an 80-acre tract on Morristown Pike from Charles E. Pauley of Indianapolis for $7,000, with the intent of building a golf course and country club. Today the course is known as Hawk’s Tail.
In 1904, New Palestine Cemetery was dedicated.
In 1838, Jonathan Evans platted the town of New Palestine.
In 1906, a gas line explosion in New Palestine killed three men and destroyed the original town hall and fire station.
In 1902, Mother of God Roman Catholic Church was dedicated in Shirley, with 103 attending the service. When the town’s gas boom faded, so did attendance; the building was razed in the late 1920s.
In 1966, the cornerstone was laid for a new Fortville Christian Church building at 9450 N. County Road 200W, where the church still meets today.
In 1974, a two-ton rock, engraved to mark the spot of James Whitcomb Riley’s “Old Swimmin’ Hole,” was dedicated after the Mayor’s Breakfast of the Riley Festival.
In 1909, work began on North State Street on new cement sidewalks, replacing black pitch walks that were put in some 18 years before.