PONTIAC, Michigan — An Oakland County judge has ruled a Detroit-area woman is liable for financial damages in the 2012 shooting death of her teenage grandson, but her husband can't be sued.
The Detroit News reports (http://bit.ly/1meVhsJ ) the judge ruled Wednesday that 76-year-old Sandra Layne of West Bloomfield Township could be forced to pay because she was convicted last year of second-degree murder in the death of 17-year-old Jonathan Hoffman. She is serving a 20-40 year prison sentence.
Layne's attorney says the Michigan Court of Appeals will hear her case next month. She claimed self-defense in the shooting.
Hoffman's estate filed a wrongful death lawsuit seeking at least $1 million against Layne and her 88-year-old husband.
The judge says there is no evidence that the grandfather could have stopped the killing and he isn't responsible.
Information from: The Detroit News, http://detnews.com/