Anchorage man charged with murder, attempted murder, in weekend stabbings at east-side home

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)




ANCHORAGE, Alaska — An Anchorage man was charged Monday in a weekend stabbing attack that left a man dead and the suspect's former girlfriend critically injured in her mobile home, authorities said.

The 56-year-old woman was stabbed multiple times and might have been spared further injury when her adult daughter intervened, police said.

State District Court Judge Jennifer Henderson ordered bail set at $1 million for Alvin Rodriguez-Moya, 40, who is charged with first-degree murder, second-degree murder, attempted murder, felony assault and burglary in the death of Paulo Grassi, 33, and the stabbing of Juana Garcia-Jimenez at the mobile home on the east side of Anchorage.

The injured woman had once been in a relationship with Rodriguez-Moya, police said. Grassi was her current boyfriend.

Police received a 911 call early Sunday from the mobile home of Garcia-Jimenez near Northway Mall. The caller reported two people had been stabbed.

Officers found Grassi face-down on a shattered glass coffee table. Officers attempted CPR but said he had died of his stab wounds.

Garcia-Jimenez was found injured in a back bedroom and told police Rodriguez-Moya had stabbed her.

Her adult daughter, Margarita Frias, told police she had gone to bed about 2 a.m. as Garcia-Jimenez and Grassi talked in the living room. About 90 minutes later, Frias said, she awoke to her mother's screams and saw her standing in a hallway.

Frias saw Rodriguez-Moya arguing with Grassi and fled with her mother into a bedroom and shut the door. Shortly after, Rodriguez-Moya kicked in the door holding a knife and said he would not kill Garcia-Jimenez because of the "little girl," police said.

Frias said she grabbed the knife and threw it into a bedroom while Rodriguez-Moya fled.

Jesus Ortiz, who lives in a nearby trailer with Rodriguez-Moya, told police Rodriguez-Moya left the trailer and returned with a cut over his right eye. Rodriguez-Moya would not say what happened, Ortiz said, but left the home a short time later.

A video obtained from another mobile home showed a person kicking in the front door of Garcia-Jimenez's home. Police also found a hole in one of the home's windows that was large enough for a person to enter.

"It is believed that Alvin Rodriguez-Moya entered the residence illegally by one of these means," wrote Detective James Trull.

Police on Sunday announced they were seeking Rodriguez-Moya and that he was armed and dangerous. Rodriguez-Moya contacted police that night to turn himself in.

Assistant district attorney Katholyn Runnels at arraignment asked that bail be set at $1 million. Rodriguez-Moya, she said, was from the Dominican Republic and a flight risk. She also said he had a felony drug conviction and that he was an extreme danger to Garcia-Jimenez.

Judge Henderson told Rodriguez-Moya she would appoint the public defender's office to represent him.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528