OCEANSIDE, California — Authorities say a 71-year-old woman died in a fire at her San Diego County mobile home that was most likely caused by a cigarette.
Oceanside police Lt. Leonard Cosby says officers and firefighters arrived to find the home in flames at the San Luis Rey Mobile Home Park early Monday and evacuated nearby houses.
The woman's adult nephew escaped by jumping out a window, but she was killed inside the house.
Police and fire department investigators found that the woman most likely started the fire when she fell asleep while smoking in her bedroom.
The woman's name has not been released.