Officials say smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in North Andover over the weekend that left one person dead



We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


NORTH ANDOVER, Massachusetts — Officials say smoking was the cause of a fatal fire in North Andover over the weekend that left one person dead.

Acting State Fire Marshal Peter Ostroskey and North Andover Fire Chief Andrew Melnikas said Monday officials determined the cause of the blaze Saturday afternoon was the improper use or disposal of smoking materials.

They say the fire originated on the living room couch and the victim's clothing.

A 62-year-old woman who lived in a second-floor unit died. Her name has not been made public.

There were no working smoke alarms in the apartment.

Authorities say an elderly couple safely escaped the fire.

All content copyright ©2016 Daily Reporter, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528