ST. LOUIS — St. Louis fire officials say a man was killed in an apartment building fire that sent about a half dozen other people to hospitals.
Fire officials say firefighters using ladders managed to rescue about 20 people during the Monday morning blaze in the three-story building.
The name of the man who died was not immediately released. Fire Capt. Garon Mosby says that victim was found on the second floor.
The roughly six victims taken to the hospital were treated for smoke inhalation.
Mosby tells the St. Louis Post-Dispatch that the blaze likely began accidentally when unattended cooking caused the stove's natural gas to flow freely into the apartment before the gas somehow was ignited.
No firefighters were injured.