Bahrain says it breaks up attempt to smuggle weapons and explosives; links suspects to Iran



We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


MANAMA, Bahrain — Bahraini authorities say they have broken up an attempt to smuggle weapons, ammunition and explosives into the island kingdom.

The Interior Ministry said late Saturday that authorities intercepted a boat involved in the attempted smuggling on July 15.

They arrested two 30-year-old Bahraini suspects, Mahdi Subah Abdulmohsen Mohammed and Abbas Abdulhussain Abdullah Mohammed. Officials say the first suspect received military training in Iran in August 2013, and that the men admitted to receiving the shipment from "Iranian handlers outside Bahrain's territorial waters."

Two other men also have been arrested in connection with the smuggling attempt.

Bahraini authorities previously have announced similar confiscations of contraband weapons and explosives. A Shiite-led opposition movement in Bahrain continues to press for reform in the country, which hosts the U.S. Navy's 5th Fleet.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528