More than 200 firefighters battle 7-alarm Brooklyn warehouse fire; 1 injury reported

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)





Firefighters were battling a massive fire at a storage facility in Brooklyn Saturday morning. The facility takes up nearly an entire city block. (Jan. 31)


Smoke rises behind the New York City skyline, Saturday, Jan. 31, 2015, seen from Jersey City, N.J. Firefighters battled a multi-alarm blaze inside a Brooklyn storage facility that was fed by the paper inside. No injuries were immediately reported. More than 200 firefighters responded to the blaze after it was reported at 6:28 a.m., only two hours after firefighters had gone to the same four-story building to put out a small fire on a shelving unit. (AP Photo/Julio Cortez)

NEW YORK — Giant clouds of smoke rose from a 7-alarm fire that destroyed a warehouse and floated across Brooklyn and into Manhattan on Saturday — a day so cold that water trickling across the helmets of a small army of firefighters quickly froze.

One person standing outside the building as firefighters did their work was treated for smoke inhalation at the scene, but refused further treatment, authorities said.

About 275 firefighters stayed on the fire's perimeter, training streams of water at flames and smoke fueled by paper inside the storage facility in the trendy Williamsburg neighborhood.

"The building is a total loss," said James Leonard, chief of department for the Fire Department of New York. "We're putting in a tremendous amount of water and yet it's still burning."

Leonard said firefighters were left fighting the elements, both hot and cold.

"It is extremely cold. It is extremely windy," Leonard said. "It's affected our fire operations; it's affected our firefighters."

At a news conference nine hours after the fire was reported at 6:28 a.m., Leonard said firefighters had no choice but to stay outside the four-story building as the fire raged.

"Right now we feel we have the fire contained, but it's going to take an extensive operation to protect all the buildings that are out there," he said.

He said firefighters were concerned that flames could jump to a second building on the same block, which has the same owner and is also a storage warehouse.

The fire was reported only two hours after firefighters had put out a small fire on a shelving unit in the same building.

Leonard said investigators want to know if the two fires are connected.

"The nature of what happened is under investigation by our fire marshal," he said.

By afternoon, firefighters were being rotated as they coped with strong winds and temperatures so low that ice formed on their helmets.

"This is going to be smoldering for quite some time," Leonard said of the fire. He estimated crews would be at the scene for two to three weeks.

Representatives of CitiStorage, which had operations at the building, did not immediately return calls seeking comment.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528