SIOUX FALLS, South Dakota — Residents of an eight-unit apartment building in Sioux Falls are getting help from the Red Cross after being displaced by a fire.
Firefighters responded to the two-story building about 9:30 p.m. Tuesday after a resident reported a mattress on fire. They had the fire under control in a matter of minutes, but the building filled with smoke.
One resident was seen by paramedics at the scene and then took private transportation to a hospital with unknown injuries. The Red Cross says a cat died in the fire.
There was no immediate word on the cause of the fire. The Red Cross says two apartments are damaged, but residents of the remaining six will be allowed to return once electricity and gas have been restored to the building.