Officials name man killed in Arlington condo fire; improperly discarded cigarette likely cause



We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


ARLINGTON, Massachusetts — Authorities have identified a man killed in a four-alarm fire at an Arlington condominium building earlier this week and say the likely cause of the blaze is a cigarette that was improperly discarded onto a mulch pile.

Officials say 47-year-old Wai Cheong Lee died after the fast-moving fire trapped him inside his condo early Tuesday morning.

The fire at the Brookside Condominium Complex was reported at about 4 a.m. and sent residents scrambling into the streets with nothing but the clothes they were wearing. Officials say 36 condos were destroyed or damaged. Several vehicles in the parking lot also were damaged.

Authorities say someone improperly disposed of smoking materials, most likely a cigarette, onto mulch near the building and started a fire that spread to a wooden balcony and stairway.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528