ALBION, Indiana — A northeastern Indiana food pantry has been forced to move after it was damaged from a fire in an upstairs apartment of its building.
Sunday's fire was contained to the apartment, but the Central Noble Food Pantry had its ceiling collapse and other water damage, Albion Deputy Fire Chief John Urso said.
The pantry had some food products ruined but firefighters and volunteers helped move salvageable food and three chest freezers to the Municipal Building in the town about 25 miles northwest of Fort Wayne, pantry board president Bonnie Brownell told The News Sun (http://bit.ly/1bXCgQV ).
"People heard, and there they were," she said. "They offered any help they could."
Brownell said it's unlikely the pantry, which typically serves 60 to 80 families a week, will be able to return to the building. She said the pantry expected to be open during its normal Friday hours.
Firefighters cut into the building's roof to put out the flames, but Urso said no one was injured.
A woman and a man who had been in the apartment and three dogs were already were outside when emergency crews arrived at the building in the 2,500-person town.
Urso said an electrical problem caused the fire, which spread through the ceiling and walls of the upper floor. Remodeling had left two or three ceilings in the apartment, which made fighting the blaze more difficult as the flames and heat were trapped by the building's tin roof.
"It was like a giant oven," Urso said.
Information from: The News-Sun, http://www.kpcnews.com