Defense objects to recorded testimony, cell records in northwest Indiana killing-for-hire case



We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

Places:

 


VALPARAISO, Indiana — The defense for a northwest Indiana woman accused in a killing-for-hire plot says testimony from a dead witness and cellphone records should be kept out of the case.

The Times of Munster (http://bit.ly/1FYlTTA ) reports 44-year-old Sheaurice Major is accused of paying Dontaye Singletary $2,500 to kill 72-year-old Carl Griffith Sr. of Portage in November 2012.

A Tuesday hearing in Major's case was delayed until April. A defense attorney argues videotaped statements from a dead witness shouldn't be allowed. The attorney also says police violated her rights by questioning her despite her request for an attorney as well as the manner in which they obtained cellphone records.

The use of the videotaped statements was upheld by the state Court of Appeals in the case against Singletary, who was sentenced to 65 years in prison last week for Griffith's death.


Information from: The Times, http://www.thetimesonline.com

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528