INDIANAPOLIS — Fire officials say investigators found no working smoke detectors inside a house where a fire killed an Indianapolis woman and two pet dogs.
Indianapolis Fire Department spokeswoman Rita Reith says firefighters found heavy flames in the home's front room when they arrived at the home Tuesday afternoon.
The body of 45-year-old Michelle O'Brien was found in that room. She was pronounced dead at the scene and firefighters later found that two dogs also succumbed to the fire.
Reith says O'Brien's death is the 18th fire fatality this year in the department's service district.
A preliminary investigation suggests the fire appears to have been accidental and was possibly sparked by smoking.