PLAQUEMINE, Louisiana — The Iberville Parish School Board has voted to give the district's administration authority to file a lawsuit against the Louisiana Board of Elementary and Secondary Education over charter school funding.
The Advocate reports (http://bit.ly/Vf8Awr ) the board believes more than $3.8 million in state funding is being unfairly allocated to a local charter school in the parish
The school district is seeking an injunction to stop BESE from funneling the state Minimum Foundation Program funding to a new charter school, which opened on Monday, until the matter can be heard in court.
The board's action came Monday at the recommendation of School Superintendent Ed Cancienne, who previously called the opening of the Iberville Charter Academy "an intrusion on the school district's rights and tax money."
Chief Financial Officer Jolain Landry said the Iberville Parish School System was set to receive more than $15.8 million in funding from the state's Department of Education for the 2014-15 school year. But the district received notice over the summer that approximately $3.8 million of the money was instead being allocated to the Iberville Charter Academy, she said.
That allocation was based on a projected enrollment at the charter school of 376 Iberville students.
Information from: The Advocate, http://theadvocate.com