Plan for World Trade Center performing arts center shrinks as it's dealt another blow



We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

Subjects:

 


NEW YORK — A performing arts center planned for the World Trade Center has been dealt another setback.

The New York Times reports (http://nyti.ms/1VErU1g ) the corporation in charge of downtown redevelopment said Thursday the project should come in at no more than $200 million. That's about half the original cost.

The Lower Manhattan Development Corporation says the $99 million in federal funds committed to the project are contingent on the center's leaders producing an affordable design with a plan for raising money.

It's another setback for a project conceived more than a decade ago and that has been curtailed over the years.

The center's president, Maggie Boepple, says they can do a great building for $200 million.

The center hired acclaimed British theater director David Lan as a temporary artistic director last year.


Information from: The New York Times, http://www.nytimes.com

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528