Man taking plea deal to avoid retrial in 'Thunder From Down Under' shooting case in Las Vegas

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)




LAS VEGAS — A man who told a judge he's being treated for mental illness accepted a plea deal Thursday to avoid a retrial for firing a gun while trying to steal costumes and props from the "Thunder From Down Under" male revue on the Las Vegas Strip.

Joey Kadmiri pleaded guilty in state court to felony weapon, battery and theft charges, and his lawyers said he'll waive a preliminary hearing Friday in a separate domestic battery with a weapon case and plead guilty next week.

In return, the 26-year-old Kadmiri was promised that he won't be sentenced to more than a combined 25 years in state prison.

The moves by a man who added significant weight and grew a beard and long hair while in custody for 20 months signaled the end of a wrangle over his competency to stand trial.

Kadmiri was evaluated several times at the state's Lakes Crossing center for criminal mental health treatment. He haltingly acknowledged Thursday that he was taking medication to counter diagnoses of paranoia and depression.

"Have you been treated for mental illness?" Clark County District Court Judge Eric Johnson asked as Kadmiri sat with defense attorneys John Momot and Yi Lin Zheng.

"Yes, your honor," Kadmiri replied.

"Do you understand the plea agreement?" the judge asked.

"Yes," Kadmiri said.

Johnson accepted the plea, canceled a trial that would have started Monday and set sentencing Dec. 29.

Prosecutors Nick Portz and Jeffrey Rogan called the plea agreement a fair resolution to the case.

Kadmiri admitted firing a .44-caliber handgun during a struggle with well-muscled cast members of the Australian-themed men's revue who found him backstage trying to steal belongings including thong underwear.

Kadmiri acknowledged that two employees, ages 55 and 40, received gunpowder burns. Kadmiri was left with a black eye and bruises.

He stood trial in July 2014 with different defense attorneys on nine felony charges that could have gotten him decades in state prison if he'd been convicted. The proceedings ended in a mistrial after jurors talked about evidence before beginning deliberations.

The separate domestic violence case charges that he kidnapped, assaulted, coerced and beat a woman, pointed a gun at her and confined her to a closet in November 2013.

Kadmiri has a previous conviction in September 2011 for misdemeanor escape stemming from a March 2010 attempt to run, while handcuffed, from police arresting him on unspecified felony charges.

Records show that a civil lawsuit he filed from jail in February seeking damages from the Excalibur and Thunder From Down Under was thrown out of state court last month.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528