Medical officials say bomb blasts at mosque in Yemen's capital, Sanaa, kill at least 20 people



We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)

People:

Organizations:

Subjects:

Places:

 

Photo Gallery:


Click to view (3 Photos)


SANAA, Yemen — Medical officials say at least 20 people have been killed by two bombs that blew up at a mosque in the Yemeni capital, Sanaa.

Police officials say a suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday inside the mosque during the evening call to prayers, while a car bomb exploded outside the mosque's door. Medical officials say the death toll may rise with people now in operating rooms in several hospitals.

Witnesses say the car bomb exploded while people were carrying out the wounded from inside the mosque.

Hamid Ali, a witness at the scene, says the explosion left body parts and bloodied floors in the mosque frequented by both Sunni and Shiite Muslims.

The bombing comes amid Yemen's raging civil war.

This is a breaking news update. The AP's earlier story follows below.

Gunmen shot dead two Yemenis working for the International Committee of the Red Cross on Wednesday as they were traveling from the northern Saada province to the capital, Sanaa, the group said.

Rima Kamal, an ICRC spokeswoman in Sanaa, says the two were killed in Amran province.

Yemen has been mired in violence since Shiite rebels, known as Houthis, swept down from their stronghold in Saada and captured Sanaa last September. Both Amran and Saada are fully controlled by the Houthis.

The Houthis are fighting alongside army units loyal to former President Ali Abdullah Saleh against forces loyal to exiled President Abed Rabbo Mansour Hadi as well as southern separatists and local militias. A Saudi-led and U.S.-backed coalition has been launching airstrikes against the rebels since March.

The conflict has killed over 2,100 civilians, according to the United Nations.

The U.N.'s humanitarian coordinator for the country, Johannes Van Der Klaauw, and U.N. humanitarian coordinator Stephen O'Brien both condemned the attack on the Red Cross workers.

Saudi Arabia's civil defense said Tuesday that seven people were wounded when a missile fired from inside Yemen struck three vehicles in al-Tuwal village in the Jizan border province.

In Sanaa, a suicide bomber blew himself up Wednesday inside a mosque during the evening call to prayers, while a second bomb exploded outside the mosque's door, the Houthi's media office said.

20 people were killed and dozens others injured in the explosion, medical officials said. The death toll may rise further with more people now in operating rooms in several hospitals, they said.

Hamid Ali, a witness at the scene, said the explosion left body parts and bloodied floors in the mosque frequented by both Sunni and Shiite Muslims. Witnesses near the area saw ambulances carry away the wounded. Witnesses say the car bomb exploded while people were carrying out the injured from inside the mosque, raising the death toll.

Last month, pro-government forces backed by Saudi-led airstrikes drove the rebels out of Yemen's southern port city of Aden after heavy fighting.

In Marib province, more than 20 Houthis were killed in ground clashes with pro-government forces and in airstrikes by the Saudi-led coalition since Tuesday night, independent security officials and medical officials said. Nine pro-government fighters were also killed in the clashes in the same period, independent security officials and witnesses said.

Pro-government forces, who control the Marib province capital, are preparing for a large attack in the next two days, along with support from the Saudi-led coalition, anti-Houthi officials said. If they successfully clear the province of Houthi forces, the pro-government forces could then proceed to Jawf province, and then to Saada, the Houthis' stronghold in the north.

The officials spoke on condition of anonymity because they weren't authorized to brief reporters.

In a Wednesday report, Human Rights Watch says both sides committed serious abuses against civilians and fighters in their custody during fighting there, with southern militants killing at least seven Houthi prisoners since March.

"Southern forces that have regained control of Aden should end abuses against prisoners and do all they can to establish law and order in the city," said Sarah Leah Whitson, Middle East director for the U.S.-based rights group. "The Houthis need to release anyone wrongfully detained and account for everyone they are holding."

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528