More than 5,000 flee Central African Republic camp after rebels attack, killing 5

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)



BANGUI, Central African Republic — U.N. officials say at least five people are dead and thousands have fled a camp for displaced people in Central African Republic after it came under attack by rebel fighters.

The violence took place in the northern town of Batangafo, the U.N. refugee agency said Wednesday. A preliminary report says that Muslim fighters killed five people in retaliation after two young Muslims had been killed earlier in the day there.

Charles Mballa, the UNHCR's deputy representative in the country, condemned the "horrific acts."

Tensions are mounting ahead of national elections set for late December in Central African Republic. As a result of violence over the last few years, some 860,000 people have been forced from their homes. Pope Francis is due to visit the capital later this month.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a publication of AIM Media Indiana unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528