Mother, 2-year-old daughter die in Memphis house fire caused by faulty electrical wiring

We also have more stories about:
(click the phrases to see a list)




MEMPHIS, Tennessee — Authorities say faulty electrical wiring caused a fire in a Memphis home where the bodies of a woman and her 2-year-old daughter were found in a bedroom.

Memphis Fire Department Lt. Wayne Cooke said firefighters discovered the bodies of 20-year-old McKala Kelley and Elizabeth Kelley in a one-story, wood-frame house severely damaged by fire on Wednesday.

A medical examiner will determine the cause of their deaths.

Cooke says a 19-year-old man suffered second-degree burns to his hands and face. He was taken to a hospital in critical condition.

A fourth person escaped unharmed. Three dogs also died in the fire.

Investigators found the home did not have a working smoke detector. Officials said the accidental fire was caused by faulty electrical wiring in the attic.

All content copyright ©2015 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528