GRAND ISLAND, Nebraska — Changes are in the works for the Hall County Housing Authority's tallest building after a cigarette started a fatal fire in Grand Island.
According to Grand Island and Nebraska fire officials, a discarded cigarette started the fire on Saturday in a man's living room on the 9th floor of the 11-story Centennial Towers. Sixty-three-year-old Sarah Both, who lived down the hall from the man, died after pushing out her air conditioning unit and falling out of the window of her smoke-filled apartment.
The Grand Island Independent (http://bit.ly/1MIZb3o ) reports the building will become a no-smoking property. According to Executive Director Rick Ruzicka, smoking is already prohibited in common areas of the building, but the ban will extend to the rest of the building.
Housing authority officials also plan to add more sprinklers on all floors of the building.
Information from: The Grand Island Independent, http://www.theindependent.com