Woman dies in house fire



Photos:


A fire investigator looks for clues in the aftermath of the fire Tuesday night that claimed a woman's life (Tom Russo / Daily Reporter)


Editor's note: This story contains corrected information.

GREENFIELD — A woman died in her home Tuesday night when a fast-spreading fire engulfed the structure.

Firefighters arrived on the scene in the 400 block of Warren Way, in the Broadway Village Apartments, within minutes of receiving the call about 7 p.m. Flames already had engulfed the eastern half of the duplex. Firefighters had the blaze under control within 10 minutes.

Tina Klare, 66, was unable to escape from the home and died, officials said. Two other people, including Klare's sister, Malinda Beasley; and her granddaughter, Shantell Robbins, 12, were able to escape. Shantell suffered injuries and was in serious condition at Peyton Manning Children's Hospital in Indianapolis. She was taken there by ambulance after being treated at Hancock Regional Hospital. Shantell's sister, Tiffany Chitwood, 16, also lives at the residence but was not home at the time. A Greenfield Police Department officer, Justin Jackson, also was treated at Hancock Regional for smoke inhalation.

Neighbors who live in the western part of the duplex were able to escape without injury.

Jason Horning, deputy chief of the Greenfield Fire Department, said firefighters made every effort to save Klare.

"Sometimes, there are extenuating circumstances as far as how quickly a fire grows," he said. "A person, for whatever reason, can't get out,... it doesn't take long for that smoke and heated air to overcome someone."

Officials were back on the scene today looking for clues to the fire's origin. The fire is being investigated by the Greenfield Fire Department; Greenfield Police Department; Hancock County coroner's office; and the state fire marshal's office.

More details will be posted as they become available. See Thursday's print edition of the Daily Reporter for a comprehensive report.

 

Watch exclusive raw-video footage taken from the scene of the fire on the Daily Reporter Video page.

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528