Winners of the “Who’s Reading Riley?” contest, chosen by popular vote, were announced Wednesday.
The top 10 were chosen from more than 60 submitted photos of notables from across the county, state and nation reading the works of James Whitcomb Riley for a contest devised by the Riley Old Home Society.
The contest was inspired by a famous photograph of actor James Dean reciting a poem by his favorite poet, Riley. The society started the contest, sending out requests for notables near and far to submit their own photos reading any of Riley’s works.
The photos were then posted on the Riley Home’s website to allow the public to view the photos and vote for their favorites. The 10 photos with the most votes follow.
The Top Ten Reading Riley as determined by popular vote:
10. Eileen Lower, 62-year member of the James Whitcomb Riley Club of Alexandria – 146 votes
9. Dan Marshall, Hancock County Superior Court 2 judge – 150
8. Jaycie Phelps, 1996 Olympic gold medalist, with gymnasts from the Jaycie Phelps Athletic Center – 221
7. Blue II of Butler University – 268
6. Chikage Windler, meteorologist at WTHR-TV (Channel 13) – 283
5. Wilkerson Dance Studio’s Sugar Plum Fairy – 386
4. The James Whitcomb Riley Club of Alexandria – 432
3. Jim Bever, principal at Greenfield Intermediate School – 644
2. Joyce Strickland, retired second-grade teacher at J.B. Stephens Elementary School – 842
1. Wayne Addison of Another Addison Auction – 1,128