New Palestine High School
IHSAA incorporation: 1915
Colors: Red and White
Fight song: To the music of Indiana University’s “Indiana, Our Indiana”
What’s in a name? While Hancock County’s three other high schools were incorporated in the last 50 years, parts of New Palestine’s school history dates back to the 1800s. As such, it’s a little more challenging to pin down the origins of the Dragons nickname.
The current New Palestine High School complex sits on the same land where an area school was built in 1884 and where another school structure was constructed in 1919. The school fielded its first basketball team in 1909 and joined the Indiana High School Athletic Association in 1915, playing its first sectional the following year, according to New Palestine Sports Information Director Andrew Smith.