Explosives case headed to trial




GREENFIELD — Plea negotiations in the case against a 20-year-old New Palestine man accused of making homemade explosives hit a wall Thursday, and a trial is scheduled for next month.

Michael Niemier, who was arrested in July on a Class C felony charge of possession of a destructive device, appeared headed to trial following a hearing in Hancock Circuit Court Thursday afternoon.

Niemier, who is represented by his father, attorney William Niemier, was scheduled to take a plea agreement at Thursday’s hearing, but the state and defense have so far not been able to agree on the terms, Prosecutor Michael Griffin said.

“There’s been a lot of investment of time by the defense in negotiating, and we’ve tried to be responsive,” Griffin said.

But the prosecutor’s office has now made its final offer, he said.

This story appears in the print edition of Daily Reporter. Subscribers can read the entire story online by signing in here or in our e-Edition by clicking here.

All comments are moderated before posting.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.

All content copyright ©2014 Daily Reporter, a division of Home News Enterprises unless otherwise noted.
All rights reserved. Click here to read our privacy policy.
Daily Reporter • 22 W. New Road • Greenfield, IN 46140 • (317) 462-5528