Many years ago, when the Fortville Elementary building still existed, first grade teacher Sharon (Evans) Hamm taught the children of Vernon and Buck Creek Townships how to read and write in a classroom on the school’s first floor. The school was old and had seen better days, and there were some classrooms on the upper floor that were no longer in use.
One classroom — the one directly above Mrs. Hamm’s room — was full of a bunch of old stuff. This room was not in good shape; the windows were cracked or broken, and the items were dirty and dusty. It was basically a storage room for unwanted items. Of course, what is one man’s trash is another man’s treasure.
Upon a whim, she decided to look in this room to see what was there. She found several old trophies and pictures from the Mt. Comfort, Fortville and Vernon Township Schools. She also found a large silver trophy in the shape of a ball. Curiosity overtook her and she decided to look at this trophy a little closer.
Hamm had uncovered the Martindale Trophy, a silver basketball affixed to the top of a pedestal, standing over a foot tall in height. The trophy was engraved with the Martindale (a local store and sponsor of the trophy) name and the title for which it was given: “Hancock County Champions.” Around the silver orb are the names of the winning teams from 1924 through 1930: Mt. Comfort ‘24, McCordsville ‘25, New Palestine ‘26, Mt. Comfort ‘27, no one listed for ‘28, Wilkinson ‘29, and Mt. Comfort ‘30.
All comments are moderated before posting.
View our commenting guidelines and FAQ's here.