In 1913, a man pleaded guilty before the mayor to stealing coal from Gray Brothers’ coal yard. According to the Dec. 26, 1913, edition of the Daily Reporter, “he was released under a suspended sentence on his promise to leave other people’s property alone and stay away from the saloons.”
In 1957, owner H.J. Ricks said the North Gate Shopping Center was about a week ahead of schedule and that the Greenfield shopping center would open around Feb. 1, 1958. Roselyn Bakeries, Tuchman Cleaners and a gift shop were among the businesses expected.
Story continues below gallery
In 1917, “the most disastrous fire Greenfield has had in years” severely damaged the Rottman building on West Main Street, along with a large amount of furniture.
In 1941, Jack Benny’s radio program was so enjoyable to Mrs. J.D. Stafford of Greenfield that she wrote a letter commenting. In return, as reported in the Feb. 19, 1942, Daily Reporter, the entertainer mailed her his script of the evening’s broadcast.
In 1965, Greenfield City Council accepted a deed to about eight acres of wooded land at what was the northwest edge of the city. It was a gift from Mary Moore in memory of her parents and was to be known as Moore Memorial Park.
In 1992, the Rev. Mark Fisher of Mt. Comfort United Methodist Church was named Newsmaker of the Year for his opposition to a horse racing facility in Hancock County.
In 1967, services began in a new Fortville Christian Church building. The 22,000-square-foot building was constructed for $250,000. Mary Rushton and her family had donated six acres of land from a field about one mile south of Fortville in memory of Frank M. Rushton.
In 2002, a tree fell on a car driven by Buck Creek Baptist Church pastor Stan Jones, killing him, his wife, and two of the couple’s three children. Surviving daughter Emily was raised by an aunt and uncle and graduated from New Palestine High School in 2016.