Back When looks back at local milestones and headlines, from the heartbreaking to the humorous and points in between.
In 1942, the body of automobile stunt driver Earl “Lucky” Teter was taken to George McCarty Funeral Home in Fortville after Teter died in a failed stunt during an army relief show at the Indiana State Fairgrounds in Indianapolis. The Noblesville native, who had appeared in movies, was attempting a 150-foot leap when his car instead fell under the landing ramp and was crushed.
In 1937, work on the Riley Park shelter house resumed after Works Progress Administration laborers had to break from the project for several days after reaching their limit of hours. Crews had built walls and were working on the roof.
In 1971, Greenfield-Central School Board voted to replace the gym floor at Greenfield-Central High School, citing uneven places and gaps between planks up to one-quarter inch. The board withheld $25,000 from the Logansport company that was primary contractor for building the school. That company sued, and the board countersued. The matter was still pending in court when the board chose a new company, Cincinnati Flooring Co., to remove the floor and replace it.
In 1932, Hancock County Surveyor G.C. Winslow praised the work of Civilian Conservation Corps workers who were dredging Potts Ditch.
In 1947, the first training course met for leaders of the newly formed Greenfield Girl Scout Association.
In 1834, E. Wood laid out Cleveland. According to John H. Binford’s “History of Hancock County, Indiana,” the original plat consisted of 64 lots, and the town was originally called Portland.
In 1932 fire destroyed five buildings along Main Street in Maxwell, among them a garage and a restaurant. Damage was estimated at $10,000.
In 2001, Greenfield Board of Works approved a contract to renovate the former National City Bank building at State and Main streets into city offices. K.P. Meiring Construction Inc. was chosen at a cost of $734,835.
In 1910, poet James Whitcomb Riley suffered a stroke.