In 1828, forty-one days after Hancock County’s founding, Greenfield was chosen as the county seat.
In 1917, a new high school building was dedicated in Maxwell. A big basket dinner was followed by a program of readings and music.
Story continues below gallery
In 1871, John William “Will” Vawter, longtime illustrator for poet James Whitcomb Riley’s works, was born in Boone County, West Virginia.
In 1927, the Daily Reporter noted that the Indiana State Highway Commission had begun condemnation proceedings against three landowners for strips of land along Brookville Road (now also known as U.S. 52) for the purpose of reconstruction. The landowners and officials had been unable to agree upon purchase prices for the land, and the proceedings called for third-party appraisals to help settle the matter.
In 1957, court-appointed viewers filed a report with the Hancock County clerk stating that the cost estimate for a proposed drainage project to relieve flooding in Weston Village, on the southwest side of Greenfield, would be $79,148.
In 1974, construction began on the original Doe Creek Middle School at 2279 S. County Road 600W.
In 1917, the Daily Reporter published a letter from Earl and Gertrude Davis, who had newly arrived in South Africa to work as missionaries. Gertrude Davis wrote the letter to her parents, Mr. and Mrs. Robert Oldham, noting she had so far learned about 115 words of the local language, was growing tomatoes and roasting ears and other produce in her garden, and had learned that in some seasons the local residents had to stay home from church services to shoo the monkeys from their crop fields.