UPDATE: Police have confirmed Mitch Wadley, 25, of Greenfield, died from his injuries Monday evening at St. Vincent Hospital. 


GREENFIELD — One Greenfield man died, and another remains in critical condition after the vehicle they were riding in flipped while taking a curve in a county road too quickly.
The single-vehicle crash happened Sunday evening along County Road 300N, west of Fortville Pike in Greenfield. The official cause of the accident remains under investigation by the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

Two people were thrown from the car when it overturned: 55-year-old Scott Wynn of Greenfield, the driver of the car, died from his injuries; a passenger, 25-year-old Mitch Wadley of Greenfield, was taken by air ambulance to an Indianapolis hospital with traumatic injuries.

Story continues below gallery

Click here to purchase photos from this gallery

The crash happened just before 8:30 p.m. Sunday.

Police believe Wynn was headed home with his two roommates, driving westbound of County Road 300N, when he took an S-shaped curve in the roadway too quickly.

Wynn lost control of his car. It flipped and came to rest in a field on the north side of the roadway.

Wynn and Wadley were not wearing seatbelts at the time of the accident and were thrown from the car, police said.

Coroners pronounced Wynn dead at the scene late Sunday.

Greenfield Fire Department medics drove Wadley by ambulance to nearby Beckenholdt Park, where a Stat Flight helicopter landed to meet to them.

Wadley was flown to St. Vincent Hospital in Indianapolis, where he remained in critical condition at press time, officials said.

A third passenger — Cody Boyd, 21, of Greenfield — was buckled into the front seat and suffered minor injuries. He was taken to Hancock Regional Hospital, treated and released, police said.

Tommy Fair, a friend of those involved in the wreck, witnessed the crash as he was following his friends to their home Sunday evening.

The accident happened quickly, Fair said. He watched as Wynn lost control of the car and over-corrected, rolling the vehicle several times through the field.

Fair said he jumped out of his own car and helped Boyd to safety after calling 911. He found Wynn and Wadley lying in the field near the car and directed fire department medics once the ambulances arrived.

On Monday, Fair was mourning Wynn — a man who always seemed to have a smile on his face no matter what life threw at him, he said. Fair said he had been to St. Vincent’s to try to visit Wadley, but nurses in the intensive care unit were not allowing the man to have visitors, saying his condition was too unstable at the time.

Much of the accident still remains under investigation by the Hancock County Fatal Accident Crash Team. Police kept County Road 300N closed between Fortville Pike and County Road 100W until after 11 p.m., according to dispatch records.

Officers confirmed speed was a factor in the accident, though they did not know how fast Wynn was driving at the time of the crash. The posted speed limit on County Road 300N is 50 miles per hour; the recommended speed limit around the curve where the accident occurred is 25 mph.

Toxicology tests are expected to be conducted on Wynn this week — a standard screening performed on any driver involved in a fatal accident. Investigators expect to have those results within a month.

Author photo
Caitlin VanOverberghe is a reporter at the Greenfield Daily Reporter. She can be reached at 317-477-3237 or cvanoverberghe@greenfieldreporter.com.