WILKINSON — Fire crews believe a wood-burning furnace caused a fire that nearly destroyed a home in the 6400 block of State Road 234 in Wilkinson Monday morning.
No one was inside the home when the fire started. Homeowner Jay Bell said his son and daughter-in-law were working to remodel the place, and no one was living there because it was under construction.
A driver in the area called 911 after seeing flames coming through the roof of the structure around 10:30 a.m.
The fire damaged most of the garage and a portion of the kitchen; the rest of the home suffered some smoke damage, firefighters said.
Wilkinson, Shirley and Charlottesville fire departments fought the blaze along with crews from Green and Adams townships and Pendleton.