Three things to know: Reporting potholes

GREENFIELD — The county highway department and city street department rely on the public to inform them where potholes are causing problems.

Greenfield Street Commissioner Tyler Rankins said his department can’t be everywhere, so he needs residents to be his eyes.

Reporting potholes is easy, officials say.

Here’s what you need to know about the process.

1. There are three departments to call.

If you find a pothole on a city street, you need to contact the city. You can call 317-325-1680 or email

If you’re driving on a county road, contact the county highway department by calling 317-477-1130 or visiting the county’s website,

State Road 9 (State Street) and U.S. 40 (Main Street) are maintained by the Indiana Department of Transportation, even in downtown Greenfield. To report a pothole on either of those streets or on an interstate, contact INDOT. Email information about the pothole to or call 1-855-463-6848.

2. Be descriptive.

Pool says the most helpful work orders are ones that are descriptive. When reporting potholes, give as much information as you can about where they are and how wide and deep they are. Doing so helps crews determine how urgent the problem is.

3. Potholes should be filled within one business day.

Rankins says the city works to fill all potholes within 24 hours of them being reported, unless a report comes in on a weekend, when employees are off.

Pool says the county is filling potholes as soon as possible.

Main roads, like New Road in Greenfield and County Road 600W, will be addressed first. Alleys and roads that are traveled less also will be fixed, but it might take a little longer.

Author photo
Samm Quinn is a reporter at the Greenfield Daily Reporter. She can be reached at 317-477-3275 or