Lewis E. Williams, 76, of Dearborn Heights, Mich., passed away on March 23, 2013. He was born on July 11, 1936, in Pontiac, Mich., to Earle and Nelle (Barton) Williams.
Lew attended Edison Institute in Dearborn, Mich., and graduated Dearborn High School in 1954. After high school, he attended GMI and Wayne State University and served eight years in the Navy Reserve. He made a career in the diesel and industrial engine business in Detroit and Indianapolis, residing in Greenfield, for 15 years. After retiring from Detroit Diesel in 2001, he became a consultant for an overseas foundry supplier.
Lew married Victoria in 1995 in Dearborn Heights, Mich. They were married for 17 years. Lew was a member of Ford Yacht Club and recently had been awarded a commendation for outstanding service. He had a passion for sailing and he was most at home on his Pierson Triton “Round Tuit”. He also enjoyed woodworking, gardening, skiing and traveling. His most recent endeavor was to volunteer in the US Coast Guard Auxiliary.
Lew was preceded in death by his parents; and his brother, Earle “Bud” Williams, II.
Lew is survived by his wife, Vicky; his daughters, Marissa (Doug) Oliver of Redford, Mich., and Shannan (Patrick) Palonis of Warren, Mich.; his brother, Ralph (Mary) Williams of Yuma, Ariz.; and sister, Lesta Williams (Richard) Trollinger of Orange, Calif.; and his grandchildren, Amanda, Elizabeth, Daniel, Shane and Carly.
Six stepchildren, ten stepgrandchildren, nieces, nephews, and friends will also remember him fondly.
Remembrance will be held at 2 p.m., at Ford Yacht Club, Grosse Ile, Mich., on April 6, 2013. Burial at Great Lakes National Cemetery in Holly, Mich., will be scheduled at a later date.
Memorial donations can be made to The American Legion Post 119, Greenfield, Ind., or to the American Cancer Society.